In Unit 2 Living Things Change, students explore life on Earth, comparing living and nonliving things and investigating what living things, including humans, need to survive.
- Students gather information from books, videos, and dialogue to answer the question: What is a living thing?
- Students create models of adult sunflower plants and then grow bean plants from seeds to observe what they need to live and grow.
- Students create habitats for crickets that meet their needs and then create a model of a forest habitat.
- Students use photographs and text to investigate the relationship between the building materials people use from their natural environment to create shelters.
- Students come up with different solutions, in the form of drawings, to communicate ways people can reduce human impacts on the environment.