Learn about the conservation of energy at the skate park! Build tracks, ramps, and jumps for the skater. View the skater's kinetic energy, potential energy, and thermal energy as they move along the track. Measure the speed and adjust the friction, gravity, and mass.
Sample Learning Goals
- Explain the Conservation of Mechanical Energy using kinetic, gravitational potential, and thermal energy.
- Describe how changing the mass, friction, or gravity affects the skater's energy.
- Predict position or estimate speed from energy bar graph or pie chart.
- Calculate speed or height at one position from information about a different position.
- Describe what happens to the energy in the system when the reference height changes.
- Design a skate park using the concepts of mechanical energy and energy conservation.