Why do objects like wood float in water? Does it depend on size? Create a custom object to explore the effects of mass and volume on density. Can you discover the relationship? Use the scale to measure the mass of an object, then hold the object under water to measure its volume. Can you identify all the mystery objects?
Sample Learning Goals
- Describe how the concept of density relates to an object's mass and volume.
- Explain how objects of similar mass can have differing volume, and how objects of similar volume can have differing mass.
- Explain why changing an object's mass or volume does not affect its density (ie, understand density as an intensive property).
- Measure the volume of an object by observing the amount of fluid it displaces.
- Identify an unknown material by calculating its density and comparing to a table of known densities.